9 months after a 12-hour operation to have a brain tumour the size of a tennis ball removed, Bondy completed the Monaco Half Ironman triathlon. Bondy completed the Amsterdam marathon in each of the following 2 years and in 2011 completed the Almere full Ironman triathlon. Now he is looking for more challenges...

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Operation


Due to my age, and the fact that my tumour was so large, I was scheduled for an operation 6 days later on December 14th. They told me that there was a chance that I could lose some or all nerve connections to the right side of my body. They also said that the operation would take 5 hours.

As it was only 6 days until the operation, I was not overly concerned, as I felt that although it would be very difficult to deal with if I lost the feeling on the right side of my body, I would not worry unless it happened.

I went under for the operation, and I found out afterwards that it ended up being 12 hours long due to a complex blood vessel structure in the tumour. I remember the surgeon waking me up (1.5 hours after the operation) and asking me to wiggle all my fingers and toes, and they all moved!!! I was so relieved, and so thankful to the surgeon.

I did however look a little worse for wear...

No comments:

Post a Comment