9 months after a 12-hour operation to have a brain tumour the size of a tennis ball removed, Bondy completed the Monaco Half Ironman triathlon. Bondy completed the Amsterdam marathon in each of the following 2 years and in 2011 completed the Almere full Ironman triathlon. Now he is looking for more challenges...

Monday, August 11, 2008

Monaco, Here I Come!

The next step in my build-up for Monaco, was a triathlon on Texel island here in Holland. Click this link to see where the race was:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=texel+holland&ie=UTF8&ll=53.130294,4.879303&spn=0.34442,0.878906&z=10&iwloc=addr

This triathlon was a 1km swim, followed by a 40km cycle and a 10km run. The sea swim was relatively peaceful without inflicting or receiving any open wounds, and I left the water in the middle of the pack.


In the 40km bike stage, I improved by 10 places, with 3 people receiving a yellow card (a penalty where they need to stop and start) for slip-streaming behind me.

There was a massive head-wind for 8km of the 20km cycle circuit which made it a bit more difficult, but at least it was difficult for everyone who wasn't trying to sneak along in my fart zone.


In the run, I felt a lot better than I did in my first triathlon, and gained another 4 places.


I finished the race in 2:38:36 - a time that I was pleased with.



I feel a lot more confident now, and I can't wait to get to Monaco!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    On november the first the Dutch foundation www.STOPhersentumore.nl has a WALK 4 BRAINS, at Driebergen.

    Do I meet Bondy 4 Brains there also?

    Greetings,
    Nathalie

    ReplyDelete