9 months after a 12-hour operation to have a brain tumour the size of a tennis ball removed, Bondy completed the Monaco Half Ironman triathlon. Bondy completed the Amsterdam marathon in each of the following 2 years and in 2011 completed the Almere full Ironman triathlon. Now he is looking for more challenges...

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Monaco?? Done and Dusted!!!


I can now say without a word of a lie, that I have completed the Monaco Ironman 2008 triathlon! My finishing time was 6:52:28


This posting is just a brief account, as post-race, physical activities such as typing require maximum exertion. I will update with more photos in the coming days.


The 1.9km swim took a bit longer than I had hoped, finishing in 52:28. For those who haven't experienced it, think of it as being in a giant saltwater bathtub with giant kicking sardines.

Some improvements were needed in the 90km cycle. The course climbed to 1500m, including a 22km climb to start off with. I completed the cycle leg in 3:36:15, passing 158 of my fellow competitors.

After the cycle, I started into the half marathon (21.1km) run. By this time, the temperature was 30 degrees, and the run circuit involved a hill that needed to be traversed 5 times in total in order to complete the race. While there certainly wasn't any records broken by finishing the run in 2:12:55, I didn't walk at all.


Claire and I with our gang signs - Spock from me, and the number 2 from Claire

Overall I am very pleased with how the race went, and very happy to have this as a starting point for triathlons in other exotic locations - that's right, to coin a phrase from Arnold Schwarzenegger -

I'll be back!

3 comments:

  1. awesome success! congrats!
    regards from Vienna
    Michaela W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bondy, a true champ! Well done mate.
    Mark W

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bondy you are a true champ. Well done mate!
    MarkW

    ReplyDelete