9 months after a 12-hour operation to have a brain tumour the size of a tennis ball removed, Bondy completed the Monaco Half Ironman triathlon. Bondy completed the Amsterdam marathon in each of the following 2 years and in 2011 completed the Almere full Ironman triathlon. Now he is looking for more challenges...

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Triathlon debut


Nederhorst mini-triathlon was my debut into the world of triathlons. It was a 500m swim, followed by a 20km cycle and a 5km run. On paper this is like a 'jog in the park' compared to my Monaco Ironman race in September, but certainly required a lot more work than that!

There were a few hurdles for me personally, including being one of three out of the 200+ competitors who didn't have a wetsuit to swim in. For those of you who don't know, a wetsuit makes a major difference in buoyancy, and consequently in speed. Also having the tail-end of the flu didn't help. That said, far am I from making excuses - the race went well. I finished at position 69 with a time of 1 hour 15 minutes, 30 seconds.

My cycling shirt on the day from Tui - my favourite beer back in New Zealand - has a great graphic on the back that really was the best in the race...

I look forward to making improvements in my transitions and extending my triathlon experience in my next mini-triathlon on the Dutch island Texel on August 9th. It is a 1.0km swim, 40km cycle and a 10km run. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment