9 months after a 12-hour operation to have a brain tumour the size of a tennis ball removed, Bondy completed the Monaco Half Ironman triathlon. Bondy completed the Amsterdam marathon in each of the following 2 years and in 2011 completed the Almere full Ironman triathlon. Now he is looking for more challenges...

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Locked and Loaded In Triathlon Mode

After well and truly entering the home straight in my radiotherapy treatment schedule, my radiotherapist has been just as surprised as I have with the only symptom that I have exhibited being a new haircut.

In our weekly meeting, I told Dr Stalpers how I was actually starting to feel some muscle fatigue, although mentally I am feeling fine. He was listening intently, and making notes. I followed this up with...

'...and I have only swum 2km this afternoon on my way here...'

To which he immediately stopped writing, looked up and laughed out loud.

He said that my triathlon training before and during the radiotherapy treatment schedule has helped me to respond so well, with almost no noticeable side effects.

My triathlon training this week has increased in intensity, with a target training heartrate of 152 - 166 bpm. My schedule for this week is as follows:


Monday: REST!
Tuesday: 2km swim, 8km run
Wednesday: 60km bike
Thursday: 2km swim, 8km run
Friday: 50km bike
Saturday: REST!
Sunday: 120km bike

I am going to be competing in Monaco, but rest assured, I am not just there to make up the numbers!!

6 comments:

  1. any prizes for guessing the location of that pic?

    i guess top of the schipholdijk

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and Mikeyb, you are right!!!!

    Congratulations!!!

    You win a fantastic prize of a 2007 Monaco Ironman DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah bondy awesome countdown theme song, it has to be your monaco theme song as well! glad to hear your training is gong so well, love your blog. see you soon, cheryl xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea!

    I will try and grow a great mullet before September as well so that I will have a haircut that matches my theme song.

    The pure definition of a mullet haircut:

    Business up front, party out the back!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where is that pic?

    I can't believe the training you are doing Bondy. My head gets dizzy just reading about it. Good stuff though mate now you have only one more treatment to have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pic was taken at Schipholdijk, just outside of Amsterdam.

    ReplyDelete