9 months after a 12-hour operation to have a brain tumour the size of a tennis ball removed, Bondy completed the Monaco Half Ironman triathlon. Bondy completed the Amsterdam marathon in each of the following 2 years and in 2011 completed the Almere full Ironman triathlon. Now he is looking for more challenges...

Monday, September 12, 2011

Ironman? DONE!

Yep, after a 9-month build-up, I have managed to complete an Ironman triathlon in Almere, The Netherlands on 27-Aug 2011!
Bondy crossing the finish line, figuring out exactly where he was going to collapse
It was a windy and rainy day which didn't help much 3.8km swim and 180km cycling stages, but at least the temperature was ok - 17-19 degrees. I finished the swim in 1:20 which was my target time.

Bondy keeping those wheels spinning
The cycling stage also went very well. I tried to keep above 30km/hr the whole way, but with the wind I came in just under 30km/hr for my average speed. I finished the cycle stage in 6:09.
I felt good in the first of 3 (14km) laps in the marathon, but at the start of the second lap I ground to a halt. No petrol in the tank. At the next drink station I had a banana and a sultana roll as well as a few drinks and then I saw Claire, Jake and Rik there to spur me on. I was back on track!!!

Bondy heading for the finish line
Soon after Mikey B and Willem arrived and they had both done the Austrian Ironman in 2010, so knew how I was feeling.

Bondy relying on his eyebrows to get him there
I managed to finish the marathon run (42.2km) in 5:24, giving a total time of 12:53 - 7 minutes ahead of my target finishing time!
So surprised and relieved to have completed it. NEVER AGAIN!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment