9 months after a 12-hour operation to have a brain tumour the size of a tennis ball removed, Bondy completed the Monaco Half Ironman triathlon. Bondy completed the Amsterdam marathon in each of the following 2 years and in 2011 completed the Almere full Ironman triathlon. Now he is looking for more challenges...

Friday, January 8, 2010

Marathon box checked...with a pencil

Yes, yes, yes, it's been a while since I last confessed to the masses, but given that it is the start of a new decade, what better time to turn the information tap back on once again to give to a drink of Bondy madness!

I did manage to complete my first Marathon here in Amsterdam in 2009

...with no training

Yes, I had a lot of things happening at the time that meant I wasn't able to train, but figured I would just give it a crack anyway. A crack was involved, and I believe it was the sound of me hitting 'the wall'



'They' say that everyone hits the wall around the 30-35km mark of the 42km marathon, but for me it all turned to custard at around 25km, meaning that I was in a world of pain for the remaining 17km. Click here and put in bib number 2400 to see how bad it was.

So for 2010, the targets are:
- Rerun the Amsterdam Marathon in less than 4 hours
- Drop to 85kg (currently 93kg)
- Last, but definitely not least -> Have a baby boy!!! Yep - Claire is 6 months preggers and due on April 11!!!

3 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! I am working on improving my blogroll- Cancer Blogs - at Being Cancer Network where your own blog is presently listed. One of the things I want to do is to improve the 800 blog entries, making them more useful for readers.

    Check to see if information is correct. Please let me know your specific cancer diagnosis - the medical term. Also the year you were diagnosed and anything else you think is relevant for the listing such as a transplant. If you have written a book or memoir, I can feature it in a special Cancer Book List section. Please include the name of your blog in the email so I can put the information in the correct listing.

    Cancer Blogs I & II has been a very popular (over 8000 visits) and valuable resource for folks. It allows people to view what others with a similar diagnoses have gone through. And it brings additional attention and traffic to survivor’s blogs. It is helping to build a strong, vibrant community of survivors.

    Please consider adding Being Cancer Network to your blogroll if you have not already done so.

    Please see my January 10 post - New Year’s New Face - for additional changes in the website. WIshing you a happy and healthy new year.

    Dennis Pyritz, RN
    leukemia & transplant survivor
    beingcancer@att.net

    www.beingcancer.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David,

    Great challenge, and you did it!
    For 2012........... www.RideForHope.nl ?
    750 km on your bik, in three days for braincancer cure?

    Take care and go on,
    Greetz,
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul,

      As tempted as I am, we are expecting a 2nd child before then, so can't make any promises. Maybe next year though...

      Delete